Best yoga blocks reviewed & complete guide of 2019
The globally practiced yoga poses in some decades are now becoming an easy popular beneficial exercise because of awesome invention of yoga props or yoga accessories. Yoga blocks & straps extraordinarily add a health value to prevent any precarious or difficult or risky yoga asana whether in traditional yoga on the ground or in yoga trapeze for aerial yoga. Thanks to manufacturers for the evolution of pine to modern best yoga blocks bulk to enable comfortable 101 more yoga posture.
- 1 How to choose the best yoga blocks
- 2 Best buyer journey
- 3 Cork Yoga Block
- 4 Wood yoga block
- 4.1 Bamboo yoga block by HuggerMugger
- 4.2 Amazing bamboo woodblock by YOGABODY
- 4.3 A simple history
How to choose the best yoga blocks
Based on beginners or seasoned yogi or for any level of intermediate athletes, blocks are highly recommended for yoga exercises. So, the consideration factors are decisive which may go on following ways -materials, perfect size or shape or whether these are budget-friendly yoga blocks.
The yoga blocks should be chosen this way so that it shouldn’t sink when we sit on it, it shouldn’t bow when we turn it on its height, and it shouldn’t wobble when practicing on its side.
Yoga blocks are made of wood, bamboo, foam, rubber or cork, etc.
As a beginner, foam is suggested because initial poses need more stretched pressure or support.
For intermediate to advanced yogis or athletes gradually get flexibility so, wooden or cork yoga blocks are needed for the perfection of any yoga pose.
On the other hand, for the injured or ill persons who are advised to do restorative yoga –foam or cork block is sound for them.
Size or Shape
There are three to four different block sizes are available. The average size of is-9″ x 6″ x 3
It is recommended by most yoga teachers.
Foam blocks have the finest round edges than others.
Some practitioners, seasoned or beginners’ yogis or athletes like props to carry with their backpack. The weight & size of the yoga blocks is also a crucial issue especially for those who want to bring in the class or outdoor practicing.
Best buyer journey
Here, we picked 13 foam, cork & wooden blocks –which are very users & brand trusted. Let’s deepen through our guide for exploring of the best yoga blocks or cheap yoga blocks.
The comparative study of different yoga blocks.
|Feature||Foam block||Cork block||Woodblock|
|Squishy/Compatibility||Squishiest/ Much Comfortable||Squishier/Less comfortable than foam||Not squishy/ It’s a hard & elite feelings|
|Stability/Grippiness||Less||Higher than foam||Highest stability|
|Portability||Very lightweight.||Heavier than foam.||Most heavier block.|
|Durability||Less than cork||Less than wood||Highest|
|Cost/Budget||Less than 10$||10$-25$||15$-30$|
Foam yoga block
Gaiam yoga block
Giam is the most popular brand in the yoga world. This has a multi-color option, ranging from strong hues to engraved & printed design.
- It is a one-piece of the yoga block
- Dimension: 9″ x 6″ x 4 ; Weight:1.5 Pounds
- The Giam Yoga block is a perfect size & comfortable to grab.
- The surface is easily washable with favorite yoga spray cleanser or light detergent & can easily be dried either air or towel.
- Measurement & weight is enough to deal with any kind of wobbling movement.
- Helping to increase proper alignment, deepen poses & thus increasing strength.
- Very much helpful for restorative yoga.
- Portable within as a duffel bag.
- Customer rating is excellent( Out of 713 reviews ,77% gave 5 star,13 % gave 4 star & only 2% gave 1 star.
- This block is heavier than the average foam block.
- The blocks are light dense, so when supporting, some feel a little sinking down /over-extended than expected.
- You need to keep away your cat from this one.
ReeHut Foam yoga block
- A trusted yoga props brand.
- Available Dimension: 9″ x 6″ x 3 -2pc-per price
- 9″ x 6″ x 4 -1 pc –per price
- Exclusively sturdy & cushy of the all-foam block.
- No chemical smells.
- Standing pose on it leaves a mark of non-skid socks, but disappeared quickly.
- Slightly firmer than the Gaiam blocks
- Beveled edges are very suitable for all kinds of yoga, pilates, physical therapy & dancers, etc.
- The price is great.
- Pretty better than spending 160 dollars, companies charge for speaker stands.
- Excellent customer rating(Out of 1309 customer reviewed,84% gave five stars.)
- Pointing objects may perforate, scratch or rip the ReeHut yoga Block.
- Not recommended for smaller handy persons.
Attention: Order carefully as they offer bigger block is for one pc per price & smaller blocks are 2 pc per price.
AmazonBasics yoga block
- Dimension is 9″ x 6″ x 4 -2 pc –per price
- One pack includes 2 sets of blocks
- Stylish & vibrant colors are available
- It’s completely durable, high-density foam.
- Highly appreciated by seasoned yogis for advanced poses & beginners for height & super flexibility to support doing the simple posture.
- The surface is non-slippy, round edges are beveled -sweet comfortable.
- Enough grippy & comfortable to workout for those whose wrists & hands are weak to do the posture.
- Color doesn’t transfer to hand or cloth even in the humid Florida heat.
- Easily cleanable by brush, no scratch or dent.
- The price is great. Only 5$. One Amazon customer reviewed “Two blocks for the price of one!”
- The customer rating is excellent. ( out of 286 Amazon customer reviews,86 % gave 5 stars.)
Some customers reviewed they are a little squishy & difficult for some specific poses.
Heath Yoga Block
- This is a 2 block sets with one strap.
- Block’s dimension: 9″ x 6″ x 3(L x W x H)
- Strap Dimension: 0.15 ft. Width x 8ft. Length.
- It is latex-free
- This is EVM foam material so sweat can’t be absorbed.
- Eco-friendly & bad odorless.
- Straps are much helpful for beginners to seasoned yogis to increase the range of motion & durability of any hard pose.
- Fully slip-resistant, sturdy but not hard as cork one.
- Great quality for long-lasting.
- You can easily perform head standing pose on this.
- Lightweight & easy to carry
- The customer rating is awesome. ( Out of 261 customers,90% gave five stars.)
- Some Amazon customers claim that strap doesn’t include to the order, but follow-up mail can solve this easily.
Hugger Mugger 4 in.Foam Yoga Block
- Dimension:9L x 4W x 6H inches
- It is very lightweight so easy to travel with it.
- Hard & dense to assist any yoga, pilates or meditation poses.
- Made from very durable recycled materials.
- Edges are fully beveled.
- The surface is non-slippy & naturally textured to give additional grip & comfy feelings while working out any poses.
- A little pricy than other Foam Block
- An Amazon customer quotes “ it would be better if it was extra firm. The very cool color though.”
YUGU Foam Yoga block
- YUGU offers 1 or 2 pieces of EVA foam or cork wood with a metal D-Ring yoga strap.
- Height is available 3” or 4”.
- 90-days satisfaction guarantee & 1-year warranty are available
- Premium quality crafted foam or cork material
- Highly dense & durable.
- Highly resistant.
- Weight is light so can be packed or fitted into any gym bag or backpack for outdooring.
- It allows nicely to prolong & deepen stretching any poses without compromising any yoga injury or stability.
- Like other foam blocks, these do not sink.
- This block is widely used in US Yoga studios.
- Perfect for restorative yoga such as bad hamstrings ( glute bridges can be easily done easily by lying down, feet bent at knees, with a yoga block between knees and raising body)
- They can be used horizontally, vertically, taller or shorter way for stretching.
- 90% (Out of 396 customers) buyers of Amazon gave 5 % to this product.
- Heavy, so it is not comfortable when traveling it with.
- Some Amazon customers reviewed that “YUGU blocks are rigid enough; they can be uncomfortable for the knees to rest on. Otherwise, well made and a good buy.”
Foam yoga block by clever yoga (Value package)
With the mission of “Created for yogis by the yogis”-Clever Yoga has now become a globally trusted yoga product brand, was founded in Tampa, Florida in 2014 by passionate yogi Ellie Teng.
- This block is one of the best bi-color blocks with 8 ft. strap.
- Dimension is: 9×6×4 inch
- The weight is only 7 oz.
- Available colors: blue/gray, blue/purple & blue/light- blue.
- The price is for one pc-per block.
- Very lightweight recycled, non-toxic, EVM Foam block.
- Eco-friendly & bad odor-free.
- Closed-cell to prevent any sweat or moisture so excellent stable for any sweatiest intermediate or advanced yoga postures.
- Rounded & beveled edges provide extra comfort to yogis.
- Long-lasting & easy to washable.
- Very lightweight, so easily transportable for the studio, gym or outdoor yoga work out.
- Excellent customer rating. ( 90 % of Amazon customers out of 466, gave 5 stars)
- 100% Namaste refund warranty for a certain period.
- An Amazon customer reviewed “Seemed too large so sliced it in two. Now, too thin.”
Cork Yoga Block
Manduka Cork yoga block
Manuka is a well-trusted brand name in the yoga health arena. It is established in 1997, in us. Manduka yoga block is available in the market since 2004. The company has a big community.
- Physical features:
- The dimension is 9″ x 6″ x 4 -1 pc –per price
- A little weighty:2.25 Pounds
- Color: Cork
- Made from 100% amazing cork oak trees, which barks are not allowed to strip below 25 years.
- No chemical mixing during harvesting & manufacturing.
- Super grippy as a block’s surface is naturally textured.
- Heavier than another foam block, so easy to workout twisting, triangle, half moon or extended side angle pose without worrying any weight.
- Continuous using doesn’t mark up any chipping or shedding
- Easily washable with a disinfecting wipe or spray.
- One Amazon customer reviewed “110% worth the extra cost.”
- The Manduka yoga block is a little pricey.
Huggermugger cork yoga block
(A little dense or smaller than Manduka block)
This is a great invention of Sarah Chamber, a renowned figure in the yoga health world. The company is based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- The dimension of this foam block is -9×5.5×3.5 inches.
- This is a single block.
- Lighter than a wooden block & heavier than a foam block.
- “They are worth every penny.”-An Amazon customer-reviewed.
- It is super sturdy & long durable.
- All 6 edges are beveled or nicely shaped for providing extra support.
- Its surface is naturally textured so very traction prone to grip.
- Heavy to support any Iyengar, Ashtanga, Anusara, power or any restorative yoga workout.
- Free from any off-gassing, natural & eco-friendly.
- Excellent customer rating(84 % of customers of Amazon gave 5 stars to this product).
- Heavy not to travel with.
Corkwood yoga block by wooden life
- It offers one & two piece yoga blocks
- Size is average:9×6×3 inch
- Shipping weight is 1.7 pounds
- The inside block is hollow
- The lovely smell of fresh wood & looking is very appealing
- Naturally eco-friendly
- Fully non-toxic
- It’s circular arc edges are more comfortable.
- Weight is very convenient to support or deepen daily yoga practices includes -lotus – handstand, lotus legs, handstand splits, handstand roll-overs, etc.
- It is shiny designed so slippery while using it in a mat.
- This block is scratched prone.
Corkwood yoga blocks by peace yoga
- The package includes 2 sets cork wood blocks.
- It is made from recycled wood or cork combo.
- Size is more than average: 9×6×4 inch
- 85% of Amazon customers (Out of -311 reviews) gave five stars
& only 1% gave 1 star to this block.)
- Different custom design is available as, Mandala, Geometry, shell, Tree, Sun, Elephant, Lotus and Turtle, etc.
- Naturally anti-microbial.
- These are very sturdy & dense
- Portable to take it outdoor or bring in class.
- Perfect for any handstand pose.
- Fully slip-resistant whether-carpet, tiles even wet grass
- Unpleasant smell free
- Corners are stylishly rounded
- It is uncomfortable to lie on
- A little wobblier than others.
- Amazon customers reviewed that they are rougher than other yoga blocks.
Wood yoga block
Bamboo yoga block by HuggerMugger
- Physical features: Block’s dimension is: 10 L × 6W × 4 H inch.
- Weight: 2.49 Pounds
- Inside is hollow-core but strong & sturdy enough to support the pressure of any yoga posture.
- Naturally calm & pleasing material.
- Easy to grip.
- Lightweight to carry in a duffel bag.
- Long-lasting & durable
- Bamboo wood becomes slippery after a long workout
Amazing bamboo woodblock by YOGABODY
A popular yoga product brand.
- 2 pc per set or price
- Dimension: 7.6 x 5.5 x 4 inches
- Weight:1.8 lbs per block(3.6 lbs total)
- Heavy duty for handstand, arm balance, vinyasa asana, and back support or any restorative yoga poses.
- Excellently crafted of natural bamboo.
- Non-slip rubber bottom makes stable & saves yoga mat from unwanted mark or scratch.
- Easily washable.
- Blocks become slippery with a sweaty palm
A simple history
In the best selling modern yoga books the “Light on yoga “(Also known as the bible of yoga, in1970), by B.K.S. Iyengar, the founder of yoga in the USA, narrates more than 200 asana styles.
He firstly expressed some props which are essential beyond Indian saints to make body & mind together for general people. Yoga blocks are one of the best props which enable elderly, ill, injured or tired persons to perform any yoga posture.
What are yoga blocks used for?
- It helps nicely in fixing proper alignment & maximum flexibility.
- It supports to deepen body stretch or motion without a little hassle and prevent injury.
- Beginners to seasoned yogis choose blocks as it props relaxed fully to do any asana.
- It vehemently guards against any possible physical limitations or injuries.
- It builds to grow our awareness about our mind focus on different muscles of different poses.
- Blocks are awesome for inverting, twisting, standing, reclining or balancing poses, etc.
- Yogis can place it in a suitable place or body parts-hands, legs, feet, under the legs & arms, between legs & arms, etc. easily according to posture when workout.
How many types of yoga block?
The brick-shaped important yoga accessories, blocks are looking too alike but the material is different as yogis’ necessity. There have several kinds of yoga blocks are available in the market -foam, rubber or cork & wood or bamboo, etc.
Yoga blocks foam
Foam is very mild & squishy for the yogi beginners as they are very prone to get support. It’s dense & durability is different as the manufacturer’s constructions.
The recommendations to pick foam block.
- It is made from very high quality certified recycled EVA foam.
- Highly recommended for the beginners.
- Yoga gurus suggest foam for an excellent level of squish.
- These are lightweight than any other blocks.
- . After repetitive use of foam, it doesn’t get slippery because of sweat.
- It’s easily transferable.
- It’s cheapest so get your foam block within the range of under $10. Go through our buying guide in-depth.
Cork yoga blocks
Synthetic & natural corks are available in the market. But yogis choose eco-friendly natural cork blocks.
The bark of cork oak trees is the original source of natural cork or rubber yoga blocks. The Mediterranean countries produce hugely cork trees. This cork is hard, waterproofed, damp-proofed, recyclable & durable.
Some features of cork blocks
- It is super grippy, even when wet.
- Yoga gurus suggest cork for great balancing.
- It is hardy & lusty, some can feel a little trouble when using it.
- Its surface has natural friction so these are stable when using in different yoga asana.
- It gives extra support for kneeling meditation on knees & under sitting conditions while bridge poses.
- Cork is less ductile than foam, which sometimes provides a more tangible in the sense of stability
- The surface of molded cork is extra comfortable to hold on 7 also lean on.
- These are a little bit pricy falling range 10 – 20 $
Wooden yoga blocks
Hardwoods such as maple & birch, softwood as pine, teak or bamboo are the main source of wooden blocks.
- The woodblock would stand up better to being stood upon than foam or cork blocks.
- Some yoga teacher says they believe our third eye staying on between our two eyebrows. It is a natural wooden block that helps to open our sixth sense resting on the forehead.
- It is slippery but easily washable and pricy than the aforementioned blocks, generally 15-30 $.
Bamboo yoga blocks
The naturally made yoga blocks from bamboo are lighter but a little expensive.
Foam plastic or rubber blocks
These are portable than cork blocks normally 200 to 400 grams but those are not for advanced yoga poses.
Different Yoga block sizes
Benna Crawford, the yoga teacher cites that brick or block is unlikely the same yoga accessories. Most yoga blocks are rectangular cuboid. Manufacturers are now delivering stylish oval blocked, round-edged shape blocks.
Excellent –designed blocks offer three different sizes which are extremely helpful in the studio or home for different postures.
- 9″ x 6″ x 3: It is the average yoga block size
- 9″ x 6″ x 4: It is a little wider than traditional blocks
- 9″ x 6″ x 2: Thinner than average yoga blocks
How to choose a block’s types or shapes:
Thickest blocks are not recommended for smaller handed persons as they will be hard for you to grip.
The thin yoga blocks can be useful for smaller handy as you are building up your flexibility and do not need as much support anymore.
Beginners are suggested to pick or use in the studio or home average size blocks: 9″ x 6″ x 3
Gradually when you are accustomed to simple to advanced poses then try another.
How many yoga blocks do I need-1 or 2?
I block is enough for beginners, but 2 yoga blocks are very much helpful for difficult or advanced yoga poses while body balancing is a crucial issue.
How to use yoga blocks
In the great book of yoga –“The light on Yoga” by B K S Iyengar, narrated 200 more poses of yoga asana.
In this great 546 pages book, he first felt the necessity of yoga props, where yoga blocks are encouraged to use.
Later on modern yoga guru Candace Moor & Sarah Powers, the yin yoga teacher, narrates many poses with blocks. In a summary line, Blocks are great to use three main focuses.
-Stretching, strengthening & support.
I’ll narrate here 20 yoga block poses -just follow
1. Triangle pose
Also known as Trikonasana or Utthita Trikonasana in Sanskrit.
In this pose, the practitioner keeps two hands inversely sitting one palm on the block & another hand up.
Pic: Extended Triangle Pose with a wooden block.
2. Ardha Uttanasana pose with wooden blocks
Standing Half Forward Bend, Ardha Uttanasana pose with wooden blocks.
Having seat on the block & bend forward to touch toes.
4. Cobbler’s pose- Baddha konasana
In yin yoga, this is also known as a butterfly pose. Block supports the knees in the seated position. doing Butterfly exercise, baddha konasana pose using block.
5. King pigeon pose or Swan poses in Yin yoga Eka Pada (Rajakapotasana) : Block supports in one buttock & deliver very useful forward tilt to the pelvis.
6. Elephants trunk pose or Shoulder pressing pose (Eka Hasta Bhujasana/ Bhujapidasana )
It is a hand-balancing asana in modern yoga as exercise. Blocks are used here under each arm for ultimate balancing.
Pic source: https://www.instasaver.org
7. Utthita parsvakonasana Pose
Young beginner’s pose for the spine, utthita parsvakonasana with wooden brick
8. Stretching in Matsyasana using wooden block, Fish pose, exercise for spine and shoulders flexibility working out.
9. Viparita Karani exercise, using wooden block, working out.
10. Doing halasana, plow pose (yin yoga snail posture) with a wooden block.
11. Doing advanced Straight Angle exercise, Samakonasana poses with Seated Forward Bend using blocks, working out.
12. . Asian girl using yoga blocks for the jump through movement floating legs using abs muscles.
13. A young white girl performs a yoga asanas Four-Limbed Staff Pose, on Sanskrit Chaturanga Dandasana variation with yoga props (belt or block).
14. A woman stretches on Yoga blocks.
15. Back view of athletic woman sitting on a yoga block and stretching isolated on black.
16. A young white girl performs a yoga asanas Camel pose, on Sanskrit Garudasana with yoga props – yoga block. This asana is an amazing stretch. It also tones the limbs, thighs, chest, and abdomen.
17. Young beginning yoga student in white sportswear sitting in head to knee forward bend pose leaning on a wooden block, doing Janu Sirsasana variation.
18. A woman practicing yoga in Angusthasana handstand pose with a yoga block.
19. Stretching in DVI pada pith asana exercise using wooden block, working out.
20. Finally, the ending yoga practice with the coarse pose or Shavasana pose. Young yogi finishes a workout. A great relaxing & meditating on yoga blocks.
Restorative yoga pose
This is one kind of restorative yoga practice which is very much recommended for practitioners suffering from injuries, stress, or illness. It is more time lengthy asana than traditional poses. Props, such as blocks, blanket, pillow, strap, etc. are almost essential for this pose.
Finally, yoga block exercises are a great way to get the ultimate yoga benefits. It relieves one to relieve tight hamstrings & create enough space to move our limb. According to yoga; our body likes as a temple or church of sacred. Doing workout by props, may yoga enlighten our full life with the best physical & spiritual health. Namaste!